Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Best Unit Study Planner Ever (or at least until I tweak it again)

I have the best husband a homeschooling mom could ask for. Now, before you roll eyes, keep in mind I'm writing this as a reminder for those days when I wonder why I ever walked down the aisle with him, like when he folds the towels the wrong way.

(Also, all of the kids' annoying traits are the fault of his genes. Of course!)

(Yes, I just said my kids have annoying traits. They do.)

(I'm not winning any Homeschool Mom of the Year awards, am I?)

Anyway, back to my husband and why he is so great, other than he likes to wash dishes. (He's so weird!) He designed an awesome unit study planner for me! Actually, I designed the planner, but he's the one that got on his computer, waved his magic wand, chanted a lot of latin phrases, and abracadabra! turned my ideas for a unit planner into reality.  I'm pretty sure angel tears went into the making of this planner, that's how much I love it.

One of my favorite pages is the Pinterest resource page. I find so many great education ideas on Pinterest, but then forget about them when it comes time to study that topic. It's like I never fully recovered from pregnancy brain. So I've started printing out my Pins (see this blog post for the how-to) and now I have this sheet where I can attach the ideas and actually remember them.

There's a brainstorming page for that rough draft planning stage, overview (notice my professional overview above? I take this stuff very seriously.) subtopic columns, library list, prep work you need to do,  supplies needed...6 pages total.  I had science subjects in mind when I came up with the categories, but it can easily be used with history too. I don't plan unit studies other than in those two subjects, so maybe you can use it for other subjects too. I also don't plan full-out unit studies, such as the ones that include spelling words and math, so there aren't columns for those. I do topic specific planning, like our upcoming leaves unit and leave our spelling and math to our other curriculums.

I used this planner to design our upcoming study on leaves and it did make things go more smoothly, though it can't totally compensate for my perfectionist, over-planning tendencies. I'm still waiting for some latin-phrase chanting to cure me of that one.

Click below to download the unit.


20 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing one of the best unit/theme planner I've seen so far. Awesome of you to share. I'm pinning it to pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very well done planner. I like the page about Pinterest. I, too, find great ideas on Pinterest, but often forget to actually use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing this! This will be a huge help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! Glad it was helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just what I was looking for! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning for next year and this looks like a great resource! Thanks so much for sharing. I also hate it when my husband folds the towels the wrong way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing. I have just downloaded and I am about to start filling it in. You have just saved me a lot of time and effort! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Heather, for so generously sharing this wonderful resource!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is incredible! I love the Pinterest resource page! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like exactly what I need! Thank you so much for making this available!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this share! It will help me tremendously in all my planning. I will tweak it just a little bit to suit my needs for all my research regarding digital marketing, but this was just a fantastic launching pad! Great!

    Frank, Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for this great free resource! Sometimes ideas just hit me... I'm always writing myself little notes, until I can get to my computer. Now I have a place to organize all of my ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you hug and kiss your DH for me. I ma just starting the homeschool journey with my son and have been wracking my brain & eyes to say the least about how in the heck do you plan by unit and WTH (heck...) am I thinking. You are a God send for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This would be soooo nice if we could use this in Acrobat and type right on the form. Any chance you doing that???

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Pinterest page is awesome! Thank you so much :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, thank you so much, this will really help me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you both! This will be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you very much for sharing it! For me, as a Teacher is her first year it'll be really useful.

    ReplyDelete